Getting Involved in Your Child’s Dental Health
At Burg Children’s Dentistry, we feel that parental involvement is crucial in ensuring the oral health of children. Establishing healthy oral hygiene habits for your child at a young age is important in the prevention of cavities and tooth decay. We encourage parents to take an active role in the oral health of their children. Children often learn by watching their parents. We suggest making tooth brushing and flossing a fun family event. In addition to at-home care, we recommend that a professional cleaning and examination appointment be scheduled for your child every six months.
Suggestions for preparing your child for his/her first dental visit:
- Play pretend dentist with your child
- Let your child count your teeth
- Read children books about dentistry to your child. See our list of Recommended Books
- Be positive about the dental experience.
At the end of each appointment, parents are encouraged to reward their child with words of praise for a job well done.
At Burg Children’s Dentistry, we value the long-lasting relationships and trusting friendships we build with each of our patients and their parents. We provide nutritional counseling to parents and provide nutritious sack lunch and snack ideas. We also provide ideas for preventing dental decay and help parents determine what may be the cause of cavities for their child.
- Arthur’s Loose Tooth (An I Can Read Book)
Lillian Hoban (Illustrator), Terry Christie (Reader)
- Arthur’s Tooth
- Barney Goes to the Dentist
Linda Cress Dowdy, Dennis Full (Illustrator)
- The Berenstain Bears Visit the Dentist
Stan and Jan Berenstain
- Brush Your Teeth Please
Leslie McGuire, Jean Pidgeon, and Dina Anastasio
- Clifford’s Loose Tooth (Big Red Reader)
Wendy Cheyette Lewison, Norman Bridwell, John Kurtz, and Sandrina Kurtz
- Cousin Ruth’s Tooth
- The Crocodile and the Dentist
Taro Gomi, Earl Pully, and Steve Blane
- David Decides about Thumbsucking: A Story for Children, A Guide for Parents
Susan Heitler, Ph.D.
- Doctor De Soto
- Doctor De Soto Goes to Africa
- Dog Breath
- Freddie Visits the Dentist (Little Barron’s Toddler Books)
- Going to the Dentist (First Experiences)
- Have You Ever Seen a Moose Brushing His Teeth?
- I Know Why I Brush My Teeth (Sam’s Science)
Kate Rowan, Katharine McEwen (Illustrator)
- Just Going to the Dentist: Golden Look-Look Book
Mercer Mayer (Illustrator)