Make Brushing Fun for Your Kids & They’ll Want to Brush on Their Own!
The American Dental Association recommends that parents begin cleaning their children’s mouth within the first couple of days after birth. The purpose of this is to eliminate plaque buildup that can stick to the gums and cause gum disease.
Parents should continue to brush their children’s gums and teeth until the age of six. This is because young children lack the coordination and strength to brush their own teeth effectively. While you are brushing their teeth you can take the opportunity to teach them the correct way to do it. Since children generally want to rush through brushing you’ll also want to use this time to stress the importance in brushing each row of teeth for an extended amount of time.
5 Ways to Make Brushing Fun
The key way to get your child to develop healthy oral hygiene habits is to make brush time and floss time fun. You can do this in a variety of creative ways. Here are some easy to implement suggestions:
- Play music! There are a variety of fun songs that teach your kids about proper brushing and flossing techniques. You can find them all over the internet and even download them for free.
- Incorporate dance moves into the songs you play. You can add brushing gestures and use props such your child’s toothbrush and toothpaste.
- Let them pick up their own oral hygiene gear at the store. If they are involved in picking out their own toothbrush, paste, and floss they will feel a stronger sense of responsibility for their teeth.
- Teach them to count how long they brush each row of teeth. This will help them learn their numbers and also to be aware of how long they are brushing.
- Turn teeth cleaning time into a family event by getting everyone involved. Invite your children, husband, wife and even dog to brush together every night. This quality time is a sure fire way to get your child to look forward to brushing.
We´re not your ordinary children’s dentist. At Burg Children’s Dentistry, we think that kids are super. We also think that their trips to the dentist should be enjoyable and fun. Call us, your reputable Utah pediatric dentist, and make an appointment today!