Dental Problems Caused by Misaligned Bites
Whether you have an overbite, an underbite, or a crossbite, you must attend to it sooner rather than later. These all too common problems may initially be a small hindrance, but over time greater problems can occur. Learn more about the damage a misaligned bite can cause, and why you need to correct this problem sooner rather than later.
There are a few different ways a misaligned bite can be caused. Some of the most common include:
- Genetics – Some children can’t help it and will need to get their bite corrected
- Thumb sucking – while most babies suck their thumbs, if this habit continues as the adult teeth emerge, there will be dental consequences.
- Binkies – similar to thumb sucking, using a binky for too long can ruin your bite.
Most Common Problems
Depending on how severe your misaligned bite is, you may be experiencing some or all of these common problems. Make yourself aware of the dangers that can come from a misaligned bite. Those who don’t get this problem taken care of will experience:
- Difficulty chewing
- It will be harder to clean your teeth thoroughly, leading to cavities, tooth decay, and gum disease
- This will put more pressure on your teeth and jaw, which can be detrimental and painful
- When your bite is misaligned, you’ll feel self conscious about the appearance
Identifying the Problem
Before correcting a misaligned bite, you must first know if you have an overbite or an underbite. While less common, a crossbite is also possible. It is necessary to get your child checked for a misaligned bite to correct the problem early. Request an appointment with your orthodontist to identify and then correct the bite.
Don’t let a misaligned bite cause problems in your child’s mouth, find the right solution quickly. While it is never too late to get a misaligned bite fixed, it is generally better to identify and fix the problem early on to avoid more problems down the line.